Monday, February 24, 2014

A Merlot for the Sophisticated College Student

Let it be known up front that even though I am down to earth, I am not the biggest fan of earthy wines. Somewhat ironic but I thought you should know that before I give you my impression of this 2007 Terroso Merlot which sells for a budget friendly $7.99ish. That said, I liked it for the money. This Chilean wine proved to be much less earthy than one usually expects from South American wines (especially from Chile). We might have drunk this wine (no pun intended) a little too late because it seemed to lack the longer, fuller, bolder taste of a merlot. I searched for the tannins...couldn't find them which might account for the thinner taste. In keeping with the college student theme of the post, if you are looking for an Introduction to Merlot 101, this might be the wine for you. Now, as I implied, it is not what one typically expects for a merlot, but if you are looking for a stepping stone away from the cream whites, concords, etc. (we won't be reviewing these any time soon) to more sophisticated, complex, lengthy wines, this might be a good start. For that reason I give it...


No comments:

Post a Comment